Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Buffalo Zoo

Students spend the morning at the Buffalo Zoo- the 3rd oldest zoo in the country. They had a scavenger hunt to find those animals at the zoo that were endangered. The students seemed to enjoy the zoo and some of them reflected on it in their writing:


Today at the Buffalo zoo, I got to see and learn about different animals - like I didn't know that Asian elephants were endangered. I also learned that snow leopards are also endangered. Even though the zoo was really small, they made the animals habit big which really benefited the animals. Another thing I learned at the zoo was that when a male gorilla gets mad it will jump on the glass to try and scare you so you won't try to mess with it again. – Savannah (10th grade)

_________________________

 Going to the zoo was something I enjoyed. We got to go around the zoo and enjoy seeing the different animals, as well as learning. We learned which animals were endangered or vulnerable. There are 7 levels of conservation statue chart: they are extinct, extinct in wild, critically endangered, endanger, vulnerable, nearly threatened, and least concern. We also learned that they had SSP or Species Survival Plan that helps conserve and manage the threatened species in North America. 




Photos by Daniela.

        I love animals and going to the zoo to see them. I got to see many different animals like the maned wolf, that looked like a fox and is closer related to foxes. I also got to see the polar bears, which I have never seen in real life. There were many different kinds of animals and I loved that I got to see so many. I am glad that I had the opportunity to go on this trip. - Daniela (10th grade)

No comments:

Post a Comment